U.S.S Arizona Bell

Bell from the U.S.S. Arizona, its plaque reads:


THE PRESERVATION OF THE U.S.S. ARIZONA BELL IN THIS TOWER IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES ON THE BATTLESHIP ARIZONA IN THE ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR ON DECEMBER 7, 1941.


This bell is one of the two original bells salvaged from the U.S.S. ARIZONA in 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. Bill Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered this bell about to be melted down at the Puget Sound Naval Yard in Bremerton, Washington. Bowers saved the bell from destruction and was instrumental in acquiring the bell for the University of Arizona shortly after World War II.


The U.S.S. Arizona bell arrived on campus in July 1946. On November 17, 1951 the bell was rung for the first time in the clock tower of the then-new Memorial Student Union Building. The bell was rung on special occasions for the next 50 years until that clock tower and Student Union were razed to make way for the present day facility completed in 2002. The bell was installed in this clock tower on August 16, 2002. Bill Bowers, at the age of 99, was given the honor of ringing the bell for the first time in its new belfry on September 11, 2002.


The other original bell is on display at the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.



The U.S.S. Arizona Bell will be rung infrequently and for notable events as outlined below:


  • To be rung 21 times upon the death of each of the last three (3) U.S.S. Arizona survivors
  • For notable reasons that are significant to the University of Arizona, the City of Tucson or the United States of America.
  • Rung by a prominent community member, military serviceman or woman, or significant donor or alumni of the University, escorted by a member of the UA Senior leadership or designee captured by videographer and shown during an athletic event
  • For the recognition of exceptional academic achievement of any student leader requested and approved by a College Dean, Senior leadership or designee of UA Business Affairs